Bamboo Type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20240514_132258_copy_2000x1500.jpg

Hi folks. I was wondering if there were any bamboo experts on here who might be able to let me know exactly what type we have here?

We moved here last summer, apparently after the growth spurt season had finished... Anyway, I neatly shaped it all back a few weeks ago with our trimmer. But over the past week or so, these incredible sized shoots have been springing up - some probably two foots worth of growth - in 24/48 hours.

I know this because I clipped the first shoots off along the top a few days ago and it now looks like this!

So, I'm wondering if anyone knows what type this is and how long this shooting up spell lasts for? Probably best to wait until it's done before getting it all again with the trimmer...

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm no expert but I love bamboo and have had similar fast-growing shoots before, usually in spring after fertilizing and a fair bit of rain. It seems like the shooting spells are limited to 2-3 shoots for mine, but they're in containers so maybe that constraint won't apply in your situation.

Your pic makes it look like a type of black bamboo, but that's a total guess. I've got some of the most common black bamboo (phyllostachys nigra) and the leaves look similar to yours- longer and wider than my green bamboo.

Ask a Question