Avocado tree failing to fruit

Reaction score
Country
United States
I discovered a mature tree behind our new house was an avocado tree after finding one lonesome fruit on the ground a few weeks ago and no others on the tree.

I'm wondering if the lack of fruit could be from the prior owner planting it as a seed instead of grafting, but would it really take that long? I think the tree could be as old as 15 years and it's 12+ ft tall. What else could cause a lack of fruiting on a seemingly healthy tree?

I'm also nervous to prune it - I don't want to inadvertently halt its fruit production right when/if it's about to finally take off next year. What pruning technique would you recommend to reduce its height to keep it away from the nearby oak trees and also encourage branching/fruiting closer to the ground?

Attachments

• 20240728_132936.jpg
    20240728_132936.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
15 years is a little long for a seed planted avocado tree to produce. Normally it takes about 8-10 years. Have you ever seen the tree bloom? If you have then the problem is probably a lack of insect pollinators. If you have not seen the tree bloom it is still a little young. A dwarf avocado will reach 15 feet tall and wide at maturity. If you remove all of those weeds and grass from around the base of the tree and take a couple of fairly close pictures I can probably tell if the tree is grafted. Dwarf avocados only come from grafts as seed planted dwarfs do not grow true from seed. Non dwarf avocados will grow to between 25 - 75ft+. My first impression of the tree from the picture is that it is an immature standard variety 8 - 10 years old. Be patient and watch for blooms. I am sure you will soon have enough avocados to throw at the neighbors dog. If you really like avocados you might get another tree to cross pollinate and give you a larger yield.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. I did see some blooms (not a lot) this year, but didn't notice any last year. I guess they are pretty subtle though. Here's some closer pics of each side of the tree with the shrubs cleared. Do you think this is evidence of grafting? I can't tell if it's a graft, or just dampness/growth on the tree from the shrubs and lack of sunlight. Are you still thinking this is a non-dwarf variety that will grow super tall?

Attachments

• 20240802_173038.jpg
    20240802_173038.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240802_173119.jpg
    20240802_173119.jpg
    422 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. I did see some blooms (not a lot) this year, but didn't notice any last year. I guess they are pretty subtle though. Here's some closer pics of each side of the tree with the shrubs cleared. Do you think this is evidence of grafting? I can't tell if it's a graft, or just dampness/growth on the tree from the shrubs and lack of sunlight. Are you still thinking this is a non-dwarf variety that will grow super tall?
From the pictures I do not believe this is a grafted tree, but I can tell you this. The tree is planted too deep and this can and will cause major problems in future years. Google root flare for a lot of info. There are many varieties of avocados and they vary in sizes. There is really no way to definitely determine which variety you have. Observing a fruit from the tree can give you a good guess and when it fruits again take one to a commercial grower and he can probably tell you what you have. Most varieties that commercial growers grow usually top out at about 50 ft. There is an avocado tree in Belize that is at least 100 feet tall and is over 200 years old. A large blooming avocado is a very impressive sight to see. In Florida you can expect the tree to be productive for 40-50 years if it doesn't freeze, and, depending on the variety, may produce even longer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
From the pictures I do not believe this is a grafted tree, but I can tell you this. The tree is planted too deep and this can and will cause major problems in future years. Google root flare for a lot of info.

I was aware that mulching right up to a tree trunk was bad practice and could lead to issues, but it never occurred to me that a tree planted too deep could suffer for the same reasons. Great observation & good to know, thanks. I'll work on clearing the dirt from around it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10 - 11
Country
Saint Kitts And Nevis
I have a avocado trees, and several friends have several also and if I may I will like to share what we've learned.

You generally need two trees in close proximity to bear fruit. It isn't mandatory but it helps a lot. In addition, the type of tree you have indicates what time of day the pods open for pollination. Some trees open in the morning. Others in the afternoon. They also need to be cared for in order for them to fruit: sufficient water and fertilizer, however, I learned from my research that whatever you do it will take months before you will see any results.

As for grafted versus a seed planted in the ground? If it is from a seed you may never see any fruit for years.

The last avocado tree I planted fruited twice in ten years. I got maybe two avocados in total.

Reaction score
Country
United States
From the pictures I do not believe this is a grafted tree, but I can tell you this. The tree is planted too deep and this can and will cause major problems in future years. Google root flare for a lot of info.
I excavated dirt to reveal the root flare. Do you think this is an adequate amount to have exposed? I'm a little nervous at how much is exposed and if the lawnmowers might chew it up. But thankfully I didn't have to go too deep. The area is now ~1 inch lower than surrounding ground. I'm hoping pooling water won't be a problem, but not sure what to do about that.

20240805_165919.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I excavated dirt to reveal the root flare. Do you think this is an adequate amount to have exposed? I'm a little nervous at how much is exposed and if the lawnmowers might chew it up. But thankfully I didn't have to go too deep. The area is now ~1 inch lower than surrounding ground. I'm hoping pooling water won't be a problem, but not sure what to do about that.

View attachment 104689
That is excellent

Ask a Question