Arborvitaes keep dying

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I planted like 6 new emerald green arborvitaes last fall (the ones about fence height) and 3 of the 6 have died and of the three i hoped were going to make it, it seems like one (the middle left one in the top picture) is starting to die at the top. What can i do or what did i do wrong? I might have planted them a bit deep, and i did plant them in the spot of other arborvitae's that died. I moved into this place almost 3 years ago.

Thanks

Brad

IMG_6852.jpg

IMG_6853.jpg

IMG_6854.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
They're in shade and although they can take part shade, they need 6 hrs plus of sunlight. Not a good idea to plant exactly where a plant of the same spiecies died, particularly if you don't know why it died. And the soil there would be very dry because those mature trees will quickly use up any moisture that is added.

I would plant something else there for privacy but first work the soil, add amendments and plant something that thrives in shade. Right plant for right place.

Ask a Question