Apple Trees in containers?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi, Has anyone here had experience growing apple trees in containers? I've always wanted an orchard, but we move so frequently that it's just not practical. I was wondering if dwarf apple trees would survive in containers - that way I could take them with me when we move. I've had pretty good success with blueberries and strawberries in containers, but am afraid that apple trees just need more room than they can get in a container. I live in Tennessee, in zone 7. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 5b
I've never tried to grow an apple tree in a container. However, I have seen them grown in containers in nurseries. Our one nursery keeps an older apple tree to show just how big they will get. It's quite strange though, not what one would think of a traditional apple tree. They grow straight up with no branches popping out. The only picture of one I could find was on ebay. It seems they have a few other types of dwarf apple trees too though. You won't get nearly as many apples as a traditional tree, but they look fun to have.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I've never tried to grow an apple tree in a container. However, I have seen them grown in containers in nurseries. Our one nursery keeps an older apple tree to show just how big they will get. It's quite strange though, not what one would think of a traditional apple tree. They grow straight up with no branches popping out. The only picture of one I could find was on ebay. It seems they have a few other types of dwarf apple trees too though. You won't get nearly as many apples as a traditional tree, but they look fun to have.
Minaret.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Has anyone here had experience growing apple trees in containers? I've always wanted an orchard, but we move so frequently that it's just not practical. I was wondering if dwarf apple trees would survive in containers - that way I could take them with me when we move. I've had pretty good success with blueberries and strawberries in containers, but am afraid that apple trees just need more room than they can get in a container. I live in Tennessee, in zone 7. Thanks.

Yes apple trees can be grown in pots. You will need pots that are at least 1/2 barrel sort of size with good drainage. Propping the pots up on a couple of bricks helps. You can grow dwarf apples that come on the M27 rootstock and will only grow to around 4ft or you can grow bigger trees on the M26 rootstock which will grow around 6-8ft in a pot but can be kept down to the 6ft mark with pruning. Ballerina trees are also very good for growing in pots. We recommend planting in John Innes 3 if you can get it which will give the trees enough nutrients for the first season but being in pots they will need to be fed after this as and when they need it with something like Maxicrop. Its best to plant the young trees straight into the 1/2 barrel pot rather than keep re-potting them into larger ones as they grow as each time you re-pot it puts the tree back a year for fruiting.

www.deaconsnurseryfruits.co.uk

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thank you so much for the info! A couple questions - what is John Innes 3? Also, how does the yield compare between traditionally planted trees and those in pots? You mentioned Ballerina trees, is that an apple variety or a type of tree? Thanks again.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks for the information, Tracey! I'm also interested in growing some fruit trees in containers, as it is by far more convenient when living in an apartment. I'd imagine the yield would be much less than ground-planted apple trees. How about the quality and taste of the apples though?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
John Innes 3 is a compost. We consider it the best thing to plant fruit trees in. We are based in the UK and so I am not sure if it is available worldwide. If you cant get it then do a search for John Innes 3 on the web and see if you can find a similar product. Don't plant using garden compost or manure as this can be far too acid for fruit trees especially if the trees are bought bare rooted. Growing trees in a pot will naturally dwarf the trees a little and so yield will not be as much compared to trees grown in the open ground. Quality and taste should not be affected in anyway. Just check the ph levels every now and then in case the soil is becoming too acid and feed appropriately as this can affect taste as it would in the case of trees grown in the open ground. It is also really important that the pots drain well and check regularly that the drainage holes have not got blocked. No fruit tree will like waterlogging.
Ballerina Trees are a range of trees produced in conjunction with East Malling Research Station. They only grow to a max of 8ft and only have spread of 12 inches which makes them really good for people with limited space and for those that don't want the hassle of having to keep pruning to get this effect. Whether you have any stockist where you are from I don't know I am afraid.
Hope all this helps. :)

www.deaconsnurseryfruits.co.uk

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
John Innes sounds like a trade name, but it's not, it's a type of compost:

John Innes Potting Compost
JI #1 Base
7 parts sterilized loam
3 parts peat
2 parts sand or grit
Fertilizer: 4 oz / 8 gallons (3 grams / liter)
Lime or chalk: 3/4 oz / 8 gallons ( 0.5 grams / liter)

JI #2 Base: Same as 1 but double the Fertilizer and chalk
JI #3 Base: Same as 1 but triple the Fertilizer and chalk
JI Seed compost: The fresher the sterilization, the better the germination
2 parts sterilized loam
1 part moss peat
1 part sharp sand
The loam and peat is put through in 3/8 in (9mm) sieve.
To each bushel or 8gal(36 L) is added:
1-2 oz (42gm) superphosphate
1/2 oz Potassium nitrate
4-6 oz (21gm) ground limestone
Ericaceous Mix: Use the base but leave out the Lime
Soilless: 3 parts peat and 1 part sand
Potting Compost: (same as above)
7 parts sterilized loam
3 parts moss peat
2 parts sharp sand
The loam and peat is put through a 3/8 in (9mm) sieve.
To each bushel (8gal/36l) is added
3/4oz (21gm) ground limestone
4oz (110gm) 14-14-14 Osmocote
This makes John Innes Potting Compost No. 1.
For a richer mix simply double the quantity of
John Innes Base to make No. 2 or treble it to
make No.3

You can make your own.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Wow, thanks for all the great information, you guys are such a font of knowledge. We have a small nursery here, in Bristol Virginia, that specializes in heirloom apple trees. I've always wanted to plant some, and now with what you are telling me, it looks like I can actually start an heirloom apple orchard. Thanks for everything.

Ask a Question