Anyone know the name of this?

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMG_20240725_075952_burst_01.jpg

IMG_20240725_080017_kindlephoto-558584430.jpg
The flowers are actually pure red, I don't have a good camera on this old device.

What I have learned from cultivating it is that it grows in shade, doesn't tolerate past morning sun and has grown and spread from a tiny 2" pot I bought 3 years ago to fill a
2 1 /2' square space in this rather dry shade garden.

There are bushes and trees roots spread beneath the soil in this garden so everything is planted in pockets that I've added mulch and compost to it's sandy soil.

It blooms from early spring right through to December here, until a frost but now only has a couple flowers since it's taking a hot summer vacay.

Try as I have, nowhere have I found this plant in searches nor was it labelled, but it was the only survivor at the Ace hardware spring bedding plant display in 2021, so, naturally, I had to have it !! 😁

Edit: it also does not die back in my zone 9a climate in winter, just stops flowering, but, it really never gets frost as the tree canopy collects the frost and protects it. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Ask a Question