Aloha from Oahu

Reaction score
Country
United States
Doing the new guy thing. I live in Hawaii and have a small back yard and we just started doing container gardening in May. Bought one of those inexpensive pop up green houses to keep the birds and pests off our berries and the raised container aluminum beds, but mostly little storage tubs and small Mr. Stacky starters. I'm more of a prepper than a gardener and gardening is more for a hobby and playing around with ideas of how to one day have the need to survive strictly off of what I can raise on my own if the the need arises. I'm eager to learn how to turn beans into tortillas or chips and stuff like that. I'm retired military so the whole "better to be a warrior in a garden". We've have quick success in the few months we've been gardening, just bought the house in April, and I'm more here to research and learn more than just buy soil plant seed water and it works. Hope to learn a lot and maybe share what I've learned for my specific situation and area. I'm a heavy reader when it comes to learning and have already bought books like Seed to seed in hopes of harvesting my own seeds. We've also been successful and growing several fruit trees from store bough fruit, Papaya, Mango and avocado.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Doing the new guy thing. I live in Hawaii and have a small back yard and we just started doing container gardening in May. Bought one of those inexpensive pop up green houses to keep the birds and pests off our berries and the raised container aluminum beds, but mostly little storage tubs and small Mr. Stacky starters. I'm more of a prepper than a gardener and gardening is more for a hobby and playing around with ideas of how to one day have the need to survive strictly off of what I can raise on my own if the the need arises. I'm eager to learn how to turn beans into tortillas or chips and stuff like that. I'm retired military so the whole "better to be a warrior in a garden". We've have quick success in the few months we've been gardening, just bought the house in April, and I'm more here to research and learn more than just buy soil plant seed water and it works. Hope to learn a lot and maybe share what I've learned for my specific situation and area. I'm a heavy reader when it comes to learning and have already bought books like Seed to seed in hopes of harvesting my own seeds. We've also been successful and growing several fruit trees from store bough fruit, Papaya, Mango and avocado.
Welcome to the forum! Container gardening is fun, definitely check out @Meadowlark 's experimentation with containers and hugelkulture (spelling optional), and good luck to you! I know absolutely nothing about the Hawaii environment but it sounds fun to work in!

Reaction score
Country
United States
One thing I know for sure about avocados: they do not grow "true to seed," At some point, you're going to have to graft. There's a ton of info on YouTube regarding this and ------- YouTube is a terrific resource for any and all gardening questions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Welcome. Hawaii was my first "long" trip I took, at the sweet young age of 22 years old. Two girls, we signed up for 2 weeks there. had a blast. Hopped three Islands, Maui was my favorite.

Ask a Question