About growing f1 sungold cherry tomatos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wondering if anyone has grown cherry tomato plants and allowed 2 vines? I am needing to know if pinching out after say 6-7 truss’s is necessary or could I allows each vine to produce 6-7? I was thinking just pinch them all out when I’m a couple of months away from first frost but would this not allow enough time to ripen all fruits?
F796A374-564F-4412-8A75-87D107BB50A7.jpeg
19594E7F-BEB0-43F4-9A69-DFC96FBA035D.jpeg
D9994288-9D8C-495D-82E1-E25A0EC6B120.jpeg
0DA7C9BC-3218-43E8-A1E2-069E84901ACB.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I grow my little yellow tomatoes (candy on the vine) in self-watering containers. As long as I remember to keep the water level up and give them some fertilizer occasionally I have an abundance of tomatoes. And I just noticed recently that I do have two stalks coming from the same place from 3 seeds planted. I usually grow two plants with wire supports and it works perfectly.

One thing that I would NOT recommend is standing, pulling that candy off the vine and popping it into your mouth. There are just too many chem-trails being spewed out these days and you definitely need to THOROUGHLY WASH you veggies, including regular tomatoes before eating. When I was a kid I usually carried a small salt shaker and snacked on nice warm red tomatoes. NO MORE! I've worked with some of the chemicals they find in those chem-trails and they are NOT healthy for ingesting.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
. NO MORE! I've worked with some of the chemicals they find in those chem-trails and they are NOT healthy for ingesting.
Apparently there is a huge conspiracy theory attached to this. Same chemtrail?

"The chemtrail conspiracy theory is the erroneous belief that long-lasting condensation trails left in the sky by high-flying aircraft are actually "chemtrails" consisting of chemical or biological agents, sprayed for nefarious purposes undisclosed to the general public. Wikipedia"

Reaction score
Country
United States
There is NO CHEMTRAIL CONSPIRACY THEORY! These are special planes that spew chemicals out daily. All you have to do is go out and LOOK AT THE SKY! There are multiple trails that disperse and after about 1/2 hour the sky is just a fuzzy white from the dispersion. ALSO you can go do some on-line research about WHAT CHEMICALS have been identified from lab tests of the trails caught on panels set out to catch the fall out!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I grow my little yellow tomatoes (candy on the vine) in self-watering containers. As long as I remember to keep the water level up and give them some fertilizer occasionally I have an abundance of tomatoes. And I just noticed recently that I do have two stalks coming from the same place from 3 seeds planted. I usually grow two plants with wire supports and it works perfectly.

One thing that I would NOT recommend is standing, pulling that candy off the vine and popping it into your mouth. There are just too many chem-trails being spewed out these days and you definitely need to THOROUGHLY WASH you veggies, including regular tomatoes before eating. When I was a kid I usually carried a small salt shaker and snacked on nice warm red tomatoes. NO MORE! I've worked with some of the chemicals they find in those chem-trails and they are NOT healthy for ingesting.
Will you eventually pinch out the growing tips at some point on the stems? You’re talking about indeterminate variety’s?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I usually do not nip those off as mine only get about 4 ft tall at the most. IF it were any other variety I would do so.

Do you thin the leaves and stems on your larger tomatoes? This allows for air circulation and actually a better harvest in my estimation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I usually do not nip those off as mine only get about 4 ft tall at the most. IF it were any other variety I would do so.

Do you thin the leaves and stems on your larger tomatoes? This allows for air circulation and actually a better harvest in my estimation.
i am thinning leaves and branches to create better air flow and light exposure to flowers etc, mine grow as tall as they are allowed to i guess so ill stop them off at some point i guess to. taking experience grom indoor growing and testing it out on my yard with some things i have never grown before and hopefully start eatting a bit better

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't pinch the growing tips out on my tomatoes until end of the season when I want to ripen the last of the harvest, ie; the green tomatoes. I just prune for light and air circulation after I see the first flower buds forming.

Last year I picked some green tomatoes from my plant because fried green tomatoes are delicious.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I usually let my cherries just go wild. Currently they are like 7-10 leaders strong and close to 7 ft tall. Maybe 35 ripe tomatoes harvested so far with tons more on the way.

I pay the price in potential airflow issues, so I need to be very aware of my plants and need a ladder to harvest some of the tall ones. Late season they get pretty unreasonable haha.

Been a hot dry spring/summer in my area so hasn’t been an issue so far, but this week I’m gonna have a pruning party and hack away some of the bush.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is NO CHEMTRAIL CONSPIRACY THEORY! These are special planes that spew chemicals out daily. All you have to do is go out and LOOK AT THE SKY! There are multiple trails that disperse and after about 1/2 hour the sky is just a fuzzy white from the dispersion. ALSO you can go do some on-line research about WHAT CHEMICALS have been identified from lab tests of the trails caught on panels set out to catch the fall out!
You do realise that commercial aircraft leave condensation trails? The idea that special planes spew chemicals out daily is absurd beyond belief. You are more in danger if you live near a road, vehicle exhaust fumes are not healthy.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You do realise that commercial aircraft leave condensation trails? The idea that special planes spew chemicals out daily is absurd beyond belief. You are more in danger if you live near a road, vehicle exhaust fumes are not healthy.
Chemtrails are most certainly real and it’s actually not really a secret anymore. Do research

Mystic Moon Tree

Herbalist, Gardener, & Permaculturist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b to 8 unique microclimate
Country
United States
I am wondering if anyone has grown cherry tomato plants and allowed 2 vines? I am needing to know if pinching out after say 6-7 truss’s is necessary or could I allows each vine to produce 6-7? I was thinking just pinch them all out when I’m a couple of months away from first frost but would this not allow enough time to ripen all fruits? View attachment 104136View attachment 104137View attachment 104138View attachment 104139
I don't know about your specific varriety, but my cherry tomatoes are prolific. I have never worried about its ability to support the massive quantities of fruit that come in so long as they are well fed durring fruiting with the right fertalizer. I use Nectar of the Gods as a spray in the folliars can for the roots & dig in worm farm tea, compost, & chicken maneur tea at the beginning of the season. Just make sure to offer the vines support so the fruit is off the ground & protect them from the cold. If you limit the amount of fruit on them, they may ripen faster, or be able to send more neutrients to the smaller harvest of fruit. Since I make sauce from my cherries I like to have an abundance of them & don't clip extra limbs off currently. Each time we clip a plant it leaves a wound that the plant has to heal & could make it susceptible to disease. This can also stress them and cause them to drop fruit if you don't get to it early in the green growing or flowering stage.

Mystic Moon Tree

Herbalist, Gardener, & Permaculturist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b to 8 unique microclimate
Country
United States
You both are correct.

Ask a Question