A customer wanted their garden chemically treated. Now they are unhappy, angry, and complaining that plants in the garden are dying. What would you do

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A customer wanted to eradicate weeds from the patio area and pathway areas in the garden. As a business, we use commercial grade chemicals. This is naturally very high strength. Due to the lawn being situated next to the treatment areas, there was always going to be damage to the lawn.

The customer was warned repeatedly in the original quote, in CAPITAL LETTERS. A warning was given stating the risks to other plants, the lawn, areas that are not being sprayed. The chemicals are absorbed by root networks that span the entire garden. I warned them of the risks that plants will most likely die after treatment due to the size of the garden. The treatment is 100% effective, which is what they asked for.

Now they are being angry, saying we killed all of their plants as well as the lawn. WHAT?!?!

I explained the risks to them and triple checked to make sure they understood the risks, and if they definitely still wanted to proceed. They accepted and wanted to proceed. How is this my fault?

What would you do here? Who is wrong here?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Collate everything in a single file with dates and details of what was said when, copies of written stuff, just in case he starts threatening legal action. Then file it and write it off as experience. I am assuming the plants took long enough to die that you got paid.
It's not your fault, but some people always want things to be someone else's fault. Personally I wouldn't do what you did, I once refused to strip a front garden and put down "Nice pink paving slabs", the guy got quite aerated about me refusing work, but I'm interested in plants, and that is another thing. He asked for something you supply, you warned of possible consequences before you gave it him, he didn't take notice, no fault, o your part, but back it up i case.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Collate everything in a single file with dates and details of what was said when, copies of written stuff, just in case he starts threatening legal action. Then file it and write it off as experience. I am assuming the plants took long enough to die that you got paid.
It's not your fault, but some people always want things to be someone else's fault. Personally I wouldn't do what you did, I once refused to strip a front garden and put down "Nice pink paving slabs", the guy got quite aerated about me refusing work, but I'm interested in plants, and that is another thing. He asked for something you supply, you warned of possible consequences before you gave it him, he didn't take notice, no fault, o your part, but back it up i case.
Thanks Oliver, yeah you are right. I shouldn't have accepted it in the first place if I knew the plants would die - even if they accept and want to proceed, they don't listen

Ask a Question