341 lbs. of New Potatoes from a 114 ft row.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had 2 rows that are both 32 ft long. I had 2 rows that are both 25 ft long. All 4 rows = 114 ft. I planted Kennebec first when I ran out of seed potatoes then I started planting Adirondack, then Red Norland, then Dutch blue, then French Fingerling. Total, 180 lbs. of Kennebec. 99 lbs. Purple Adirondack. 51 lbs. of French Fingerling. 8 lbs. 10 oz Red Norland. 1 lb. 7 oz. of Dutch Blue. 2 lbs. of Russet. Total 341 lbs. I plants whole potatoes, no cuttings. I sprouted my seed potatoes inside the house in a north window Jan 1st to March 1st. I wanted a minimum of 5 eyes on each seed potato and most had more or grew more after being planted in the garden. When I dug up new potatoes I counted stems most has 9 to 13 stems = plants per seed potato. There were very few places that were only 5 stems like they originally had 5 eyes. Seed potatoes spacing was 8" for Kennebec, 6 & 7 for Adirondack, 6" for Red Norland, 3" for French Fingerling, 3" for Dutch Blue. Kennebec new potatoes grow in a very tight group with the seed potato. Adirondack have about 60% of the new potatoes stay near the seed potatoes the other 40% are often 10" away from the seed potato. You need to do a lot of extra digging to fine all of the Adirondack new potatoes. Adirondack are big producers and taste same as red potatoes. French Fingerling produced a large quantity of new potatoes 30 to 40 per seed potato. I don't have all the new potatoes inside the house yet. Anything not eaten or given away by Jan 1st will become seed potatoes for next year. All green potatoes will be seed potatoes. Potatoes are everywhere.

101_9312.jpg

101_9294.jpg
101_9295.jpg
101_9296.jpg

Heirloom farmer1969

Year-round farmer and lover of all of nature
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
gary350:
I had 2 rows that are both 32 ft long. I had 2 rows that are both 25 ft long. All 4 rows = 114 ft. I planted Kennebec first when I ran out of seed potatoes then I started planting Adirondack, then Red Norland, then Dutch blue, then French Fingerling. Total, 180 lbs. of Kennebec. 99 lbs. Purple Adirondack. 51 lbs. of French Fingerling. 8 lbs. 10 oz Red Norland. 1 lb. 7 oz. of Dutch Blue. 2 lbs. of Russet. Total 341 lbs. I plants whole potatoes, no cuttings. I sprouted my seed potatoes inside the house in a north window Jan 1st to March 1st. I wanted a minimum of 5 eyes on each seed potato and most had more or grew more after being planted in the garden. When I dug up new potatoes I counted stems most has 9 to 13 stems = plants per seed potato. There were very few places that were only 5 stems like they originally had 5 eyes. Seed potatoes spacing was 8" for Kennebec, 6 & 7 for Adirondack, 6" for Red Norland, 3" for French Fingerling, 3" for Dutch Blue. Kennebec new potatoes grow in a very tight group with the seed potato. Adirondack have about 60% of the new potatoes stay near the seed potatoes the other 40% are often 10" away from the seed potato. You need to do a lot of extra digging to fine all of the Adirondack new potatoes. Adirondack are big producers and taste same as red potatoes. French Fingerling produced a large quantity of new potatoes 30 to 40 per seed potato. I don't have all the new potatoes inside the house yet. Anything not eaten or given away by Jan 1st will become seed potatoes for next year. All green potatoes will be seed potatoes. Potatoes are everywhere.
View attachment 104182
View attachment 104178View attachment 104179View attachment 104180
That my friend is a very good crop of potatoes!!
I grew Kennebec this year and although I have a lot of potatoes per each hill I've dug, they don't have much size. Probably this crazy Kentucky weather we have had this season.
I also planted one whole potato per hill with about 3 to five eyes .
I've got 2 rows that's 60 foot each so that's about the same as you .
I've been keeping up with what I've dug so far which is only 27 pounds . I'm curious to see what my final weight will be . I'm thinking it'll be around 2oo to 250 pounds .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
gary350:
View attachment 104182
That my friend is a very good crop of potatoes!!
I grew Kennebec this year and although I have a lot of potatoes per each hill I've dug, they don't have much size. Probably this crazy Kentucky weather we have had this season.
I also planted one whole potato per hill with about 3 to five eyes .
I've got 2 rows that's 60 foot each so that's about the same as you .
I've been keeping up with what I've dug so far which is only 27 pounds . I'm curious to see what my final weight will be . I'm thinking it'll be around 2oo to 250 pounds .

New potatoes are like tiny jacks that have to lift up the soil to make room to grow. 1 new potato has not much lifting power but 15 new potatoes have 15 times more lifting power. Plant seed potatoes closer together with 10 to 14 eyes on each seed potato then there is many times more power to lift up soil to make room for new potatoes to grow larger.

Mystic Moon Tree

Herbalist, Gardener, & Permaculturist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b to 8 unique microclimate
Country
United States

View attachment 104182

That is awesome. Congratulations.

Ask a Question