32 lbs. of onions in the freezer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This morning we put 32 lbs of chopped onions in the freezer and about 40 large slicer onions in the pantry. About 2 weeks ago most of the onion tops fell over and have been drying in the sun. Day before yesterday morning I pulled up onions and covered each patio table with all the onions they could hold. About 8 am this morning I pulled up the rest of the garden onions. About 9 am wife got out the chopper machine and started pealing onions. Any onion with a stem the size of a broom handle will not keep in the pantry so it has to be chopped even if it's a nice large slicer onion. For 3 hours I pealed onions outside and wife pealed onions in the kitchen. Wife ran the chopper machine and put onions in 1 lb. bags. Every time I had a basket of clean onions I took them to the kitchen. Bags are all a random mixture of, red, yellow, white, Vidalia, onions. Pantry has a random mix of the same 4 types of onions. Yesterdays evening after dinner pizza was already cooked we put raw sliced onions on the pizza, it was very good. We probably have a month or more of garden onions in the pantry. This year I was very careful not to put very much Ammonium sulfate fertilizer on onion plants we don't want spicy hot onions like last year.

101_9132.jpg
101_9131.jpg
101_9130.jpg
101_9128.jpg
101_9124.jpg

Heirloom farmer1969

Year-round farmer and lover of all of nature
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This morning we put 32 lbs of chopped onions in the freezer and about 40 large slicer onions in the pantry. About 2 weeks ago most of the onion tops fell over and have been drying in the sun. Day before yesterday morning I pulled up onions and covered each patio table with all the onions they could hold. About 8 am this morning I pulled up the rest of the garden onions. About 9 am wife got out the chopper machine and started pealing onions. Any onion with a stem the size of a broom handle will not keep in the pantry so it has to be chopped even if it's a nice large slicer onion. For 3 hours I pealed onions outside and wife pealed onions in the kitchen. Wife ran the chopper machine and put onions in 1 lb. bags. Every time I had a basket of clean onions I took them to the kitchen. Bags are all a random mixture of, red, yellow, white, Vidalia, onions. Pantry has a random mix of the same 4 types of onions. Yesterdays evening after dinner pizza was already cooked we put raw sliced onions on the pizza, it was very good. We probably have a month or more of garden onions in the pantry. This year I was very careful not to put very much Ammonium sulfate fertilizer on onion plants we don't want spicy hot onions like last year.

View attachment 103895View attachment 103896View attachment 103897View attachment 103898View attachment 103899
Niçe crop of onions!!
It's amazing the taste difference between a store bought onion and one you grow yourself .

Ask a Question